Today was another great day in Houston! This morning I worked with Morgan to prepare bags of food for the Seniors at the center. After that, I got to fulfill my duties as preteen/teen club coordinator. I drove to Lifeway Christian bookstore with Larissa to buy some curriculum for the teens and preteens. Speaking of which, I taught teen club this past Monday night! I taught about the power of the tongue. I used a tube of toothpaste as an illustration. I read a list of bad things that our mouths can be used for. (lying, put-downs, talking back, swearing, etc...) Every time I read one of these bad things I had one of the teens squeeze some toothpaste out of the tube. In the end the teens were left staring at a gross glob of toothpaste and an empty tube. This was my way of showing the danger in opening our mouths without thinking. Once the words are out, they can't be put back! :) I had been nervous to teach at first, but the whole discussion went great and it's my prayer that the teens got something out of it.
Last night we had our weekly worship ervice in the Gano gym. It's basically a team for all of the summer missionaries to meet visiting volunteer groups for the week. This week there was one one team working at the centers-Unity Baptist from Mississippi was working at Gano. Yesterday was also SWAP DAY! Swap Day was an opportunity for each of us to switch mission centers. My entire team switched and worked at Gano. It was great to meet the team for Unity Baptist. I had the great pleasure of doing yard work at the home of a senior adult. I had a LIFE EXPERIENCE! I mowed the lawn for the first time in my entire life! I know this sounds preposterous that I have never mowed before, but I have a dad and 2 brothers! They revel in the opportunity to serve our family by cutting the grass. Anyway I had a good time mowing and weed-whacking...My family is going to expect lots out of me when I return in the fall!
Lastly I wanted to write about Kids Club today...When I looked at the curriculum book this morning I was instantly inspired with a creative idea. When I say inspired I mean divinely inspired. The story was out of Matthew-the story about the farmer that planted wheat seeds. During the night someone planted weeds. All that to say I wanted the kids to EXPERIENCE the story, so I went all out! I grabbed a flannel shirt and a wicker hat from our clothing closet. I proceeded to get more props...then I made signs that said, "I am a weed" and "I am wheat seed." I also made crazy weed hats...The kids loved it! It was great to see the kids acting out thr Bible story themselves. All is can say is I now truly know what it means to say, "Christ lives in me and THROUGH me." None of those ideas were mine...It was a God thing for sure. I don't know that I would have been able to do something so elaborate, but hey Christ in me, WOW! That was definitely a highlight of my week. Tomorrow is a pretty light day with meetings in the morning and preteen club in the afternoon. On Saturday I am being adopted! Families are going to adopt us summer missionaries in groups of 2 or 3. They will be asked to take us to do something fun...I am super excited! Bye for now...I'm off to edit the video of the building dedication! :)
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kieley,
If you only knew how proud I am of you. BEAMING, I believe is the word.
Envious, as well.
What an incredible summer you are having ... I love it for you.
When I think of all the moments we've worked together ... here in Salt & Light --- well, friend, I'm just overwhelmed right now to know the God has allowed me to be just a little part of your life. I'm not surprised at all at your "divine inspiration" nor your ability to teach and lead. You are a natural, my friend.
I haven't been able to leave you many comments lately because I don't have internet except at work.
But I am praying for you ... and I love you, dearly.
He is the VINE...we are the branches...if we abide in Him and He in us, we will bear much fruit. Apart from Him we can do nothing. (no thing)
He's in YOU, Kieley Best. What an incredible summer and LIFE EXPERIENCE you are having.
May God continue to bless you indeed and ENLARGE your territory.
Your friend,
Carole
Mowing and weed wacking? WOOHOO - spoken like a true yard woman! The Best home will never be the same with YOU working the lawn mower and yard tools! :)
I am THRILLED that you are getting the opportunity to teach God's Truths and I love the toothpaste analogy—way cool. Oh that Jesus, He sure is using you!
I love you, sweet sister! Stay on the front line and keep on shining!
It was soooo good to get to talk to you yesterday! I'm glad you called and I hope you enjoyed your coffee.
I don't know if you are at all familiar with The Truth Project, from focus on the family, but Lee Anne's church was doing on Sunday nights and I went with them last night. The session was all about science, but they had a part that talked about seeing creation through the eyes of a child. It was this whole video montage about a sense of wonder. It really got me thinking. Why are we content with facts? What makes knowing the facts about something any easier to understand? I mean think about gravity, or DNA or the tide or any number of things. So we are told the facts about how gravity works, but deep down does that make it make any more sense than it did before? No! It made me feel that we don't wonder at these things nearly enough....
Post a Comment