Saturday, June 16, 2007

The internet was down last night, but It's back now! Yesterday I started the morning with a group meeting with Ginger, the Director for the Baptist Mission Centers. It was a time to evaluate the past week, give God some praise, and make goals for the following week. Then we broke up into groups based on the center we're at. The Joy team (the team I'm on) met with Larissa to talk about next week. We were then given our specific job assignments at the center. I am the Preteen and Teen Club Coordinator. Basically that means I will be in charge of making sure we have teachers for each week, getting snacks ready, and cleaning the gym with the rest of the team. Ever since we had our first teen club meeting this past Monday I have been thinking of them a lot. This weekend I will be brainstorming games and creative Bible lessons to use in both teen and preteen club. If anyone has any ideas for group games for 10-20 people, email me: kbest@westwoodbapt.org or leave me a comment. Also, if you have any creative Bible teaching ideas, let me know... After the morning meetings yesterday, we had house cleaning! All of the jobs were divided up...I ended up working with Angie to clean up the missionary lounge. It looks pretty spiffy! Here it is:

After cleaning the entire missionary house, the entire team of missionaries went for a real Mexican lunch at a local restaurant. Upon sitting down we were served salsa and chips and a green sauce. One of the guys immediately dipped into the green sauce (it looked like guacamole). I followed his lead to try what I thought was guac. I was soooooo wrong! My mouth has never been so on FIRE! The terrible part was that the waitress had not brought out the water yet! Let's just say I switched to the salsa for the rest of the meal! I ordered chicken flautas. They were like giant taquitos with chicken inside. They were served with homemade guac, rice, lettuce, and sour cream. It was so good! After lunch I headed back to Joy Center with my team for preteen club. Preteen club went well. Those kids love to play games! I played UNO with several UNO fanatics. After preteen club, we swept and mopped the gym and headed back to Gano for some dinner..
After dinner our house mom, Glenda, and several interns took us a local artist's workspace This sculptor is crazy out of the box! Here are some pics of his creations: (He uses cement to make these HUGE works of ART!)

These are huge! Here is some perspective for you: That's me in the pic!



Then we drove downtown We bought metro passes and hopped on the metro that runs through the city. It was fun to hear Glenda tell us about the city and take in all the sights. We got off at the astrodome to walk around a bit.

After the astrodome walk, the group got back on the metro. We rode down to starbucks for a coffee break! Thanks Myra...My Mocha Frap was out of this world! :) After starbucks and walking around some more we got back on the metro to ride back to our car.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kieley...Sounds like you've been busy...makes you glad our strength comes from God huh?

I'm so glad you got to experience real mexican food in the way of 'green sauce'. By the way, could you find it in your heart to bring us back about a gallon of the stuff? The ONLY things I miss from Houston (other than family of course) are the mexican food (especially the 'green sauce') and kolaches from Shipley's donuts. You'll have to try those too but, you might want to stay away from the one with jalapenos.

Keep smilin' for Jesus.

Love & Prayers,
Penny, Fred & Josh

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask you what part of Metro you rode...did you ride the train, bus or trolley? I'm guessing the train since you got off at the dome.

Penny

Anonymous said...

How fun to see the sights! Those cement sculptures are so cool...

You'll be awesome as the pre-teen club leader! Praying for you always and missing your smiling face around here. Glad that I prepared you with those great "cleaning" skills to serve the Lord! :)

I'll try to e-mail pics of the wedding in the next day or two...just treated Dad to Outback for Father's Day...yum!

Anonymous said...

Hey Penny-
We rode the metro train...