Monday, June 18, 2007

Today was another great day in Houston! This week we have our first volunteer group at Joy Center. A group of about 2o people from Highland Baptist Church in Clear Springs, Mississippi, came to serve alongside us for this week. These people were enthusiastic, hard-working, and well-prepared. I was blessed just to witness their willingness to jump in on every task! To start off the morning we split into two groups to go on a prayerwalk around the neighborhood. We also brought trash bags to beautify the area while we walked. It was a great way to start the week: to pray for the people, pray for the city, and just commit the week to the Lord. After returning from the walk we split up to do more jobs around the center. I had a team of 3 volunteers who helped me package bread that had been donated from Panera. It was hilarious to hear the running commentary from the guys I worked with. They were so tempted to sample the bread! :) I must say it was a true test of self-control to sort through 2 shopping carts FULL of panera bread! Nevertheless we made it through all the bagels, pastries, muffins, loaves of bread, and much more, without sampling! :) The food delivery truck arrived shortly after...everyone pitched in to stock the food pantry. In the afternoon the group from Highland Bapt. helped us out with Kid's Club. They were responsible for everything except Bible Study. They painted faces during free time, brought awesome crafts, had original games, and totallyloved on the kids. At the close of kids club I left with a grateful heart for the teens and adults from the church who came to spend their time, effort, and love on the kids in inner-city Houston. What a great testimony to our GREAT God who shines through them. We had teen club from 5:30-7 tonight also. We only had 3 teens, but it was still a good time. Larissa, our intern leader, spoke about the word "testimony." It was a refreshing reminder that people ARE watching whether or not I am aware...This makes me realize the implications of my attitude, my choices, and my actions. I mean, I want to live a life that makes other wonder why I'm different-a life that can only be explained by JESUS Christ being my Lord! One thing that has been neat during my time in Houston is hearing testimonies from my teammates and leaders. It is awesome to hear how different circumstances in life have brought each one of us summer missionaries here to Houston to unite as a team for one common goal. WOW! God is SO Good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kieley . . . Thank you for all your updates . . . I can just "picture" all you are sharing with us, and I am so proud of you . . . and, excited about how the Lord is using you and revealing Himself to you at the same time . . . We are keeping those prayers for you going here in Cleveland . . . You are loved!

Anne

Anonymous said...

i miss you.
but i sent you a card today, and it made me feel better.
i dont know why.
i'm so glad you're having such a good time.
i love you!

Tori said...

:)

Just a little comment to say hi! And that I'm thinking about you.

I am in New York City right now. We went to see the Phantom of the Opera on broadway last night. Ah, it was so amazing.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet young friend ... the desire of my heart so lines up with the desire of your heart. That we would live differently than the world!
You are making a huge difference ... especially these weeks in Texas. Keep shining and smiling for Christ!