Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sorry everyone! Life here in Houston has been a bit more hectic as this is the first week of ministry. Yesterday I was quite exhausted! So here's a recap of yesterday: After arriving at the center at about 8:30 AM I teamed up with one of the other missionaries to sort out bread that was donated by a local bakery. When I say bread I mean lots of bread! (Boxes and boxes and garbage bags full of bread.) After that our entire team had bathroom duty. I had the grand honor of cleaning urinals for the first time in my life. I'm so thankful though for the positive attitude that our entire team brings to the tasks. Even though we might have to do what seem to be menial tasks this summer, we do them with the awareness that it's all part of a big picture. In realizing that a clean facility effects the entire ministry, I can clean with JOY in my heart! :)
After cleaning, we sorted and hung up clothes in the clothing closet in preparation for today. Kids club started at 3:00 in the afternoon, so I also spent some time preparing crafts and a Bible story. When the kids started to show up, it was awesome! The entire gym was a frenzy of jump-ropes, basketball, random games of tag, and smiling kids. It was so fun to love on the kids. I was overwhelmed at first to have 5 girls all fighting for my attention. :) It was good though...After kids club and a quick sack dinner, teen club started. The teens LOVE to play basketball. How awesome is that. I joined a team with 2 of our other missionaries to play 3 on 3 with some boys. I feel SO at home on the court! Even though I am in "retirement" as I haven't played since middle school, I had a great time. It was a great time to meet the teen guys and hang out. All in all it was an exhausting day....

Today I worked in the food pantry. I basically just made piles of food that had been preselected...it was neat though! Kids club is Mon-Thur., so today was another fun-filled day with the kids. They are so awesome! I helped Cody out with the middle age kids today. The lesson went great and I was relieved when we reviewed yesterday's lesson that they remembered! We also worked on the memory verse: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31

Overall, it has been a good couple of days. I am SO grateful for our team. God has totally brought together 18 individuals with unique strengths, talents, and gifts, to create a team that will impact Houston this summer. I love all of you! I'll try not to get behind again if possible...

To God Be The Glory!
-Kieley Best

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl . . . Sounds like you are really getting "broke in" :):):)

I can just SEE you on that court with those kids . . . What fun!!!

God is truly going to use you this summer in a wonderful way . . . I AM SURE OF IT!!!

Praying for you!!

Tori said...

Glad to hear today went so well!!

I missed you today when I met with Jennie. :( It just isn't the same without you.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiely,
Sounds like you are having a great time and making memories that will last a lifetime!! Praying that God will continue to open doors and hearts for you this summer.

Blessings,
Darla

Anonymous said...

The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40) That includes scrubbing urinals! Way to go, Kieley Best.

Oh sweet sister, there are NO menial tasks when it comes to serving Christ. Everything you do is making a difference for the Kingdom. Keep shining - I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Kieley...you are working at the same mission center we used to work at when I was a kid. Just a few miles down the road from there is where I went to High School (Milby). Small world huh?

Keep on smiling and sharing the love of our Sweet Jesus...whether it's cleaning urinals or on the basketball court. Houston will be so much more enriched by the impact all of you will have on the kids there.

Please eat LOTS of Tex-Mex and go to Shipley's donuts and get some kolaches for me...ha ha

Love ya,
Penny